Monday, March 10, 2008

What I Can Do For You

Greetings everybody and welcome to the initial installment of the Shoehead Sports Blog. My name is Don and as far as relative importance in the universe goes.. I don't rank very high but I am a sports junky. Ask anyone who knows me. The purpose of this blog is to have a forum to throw down opinions on anything and everything in the world of sports. I tend to be pretty opinionated but try to be fair. Sometimes you may agree with me and sometimes you won't. If you have an opinion on something I have written here..good or bad... e- mail me with your thoughts. I am more than happy to engage in healthy debate and from time to time I will have a posting of e-mails from readers with questions and will answer them.
A little more about me.. I am 33 and live in New Mexico and have been watching sports since on tv since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I really do like all the major sports and let me give a little breakdown.
The NFL (Patriots, Giants):This is probably my favorite sport but the Super Bowl was an utter nightmare for me..lets move on.
MLB (Red Sox, Mets): Been a good 7 years for the Sox..two championships and numerous playoff appearances. The realization that the Sox have won two World Series in the past 4 years while the Yankees have won none in 7+ years makes giddier than a man of my age should be but I digress... The Mets have been fairly relevant this decade as well..and seeing as they just picked up the most dominant left hander in baseball in Mr Johan Sanatana to go with an aging but crafty Pedro Martinez, they look to be in contention this year as well. More in depth baseball analysis to come in a future post.
The NBA (Lakers, Celtics): I recognize the irony of rooting for both of these teams and have people frequently tell me that I can't lest I cause a cosmic disturbance that will result in armageddon (these are some serious basketball fans)..but I can't help. My early childhood was spent in southern california watching Kareem, Magic, Worthy, Coop,and Byron Scott. Then from 1984 until 2006, I lived in Maine with a 4 yr stint in North Carolina for college. You live in New England for any period of time and the rabid dog that is Boston sports seeps into your blood..hence the C's. The entire NBA product right now is on the rise with Kobe, Lebron, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, the Big Three in Boston and so and so on. Again more in depth NBA analysis to come in future posts.
The NHL( Bruins): Its tough right now bc pro hockey has been so craptastic for so long..that its hard to get really pumped up to watch. Sidney Crosby and some other young guns are starting to make a difference but its not back to the point where I would run an old lady over in the street in order to get home in time to watch the puck drop. It used to be that way. But I still have hope..its a beautiful sport when played the right way. And yes, I absolutely love the fights and somebody getting crushed into the boards as much as I love seeing a finesse player get in front of the pack and bear down on a goalie in a one on one situation. Good stuff all of it.
NASCAR (Harvick, Stewart, and anybody else who races for RCR and DEI): Yeah I said it.. I like NASCAR. Everytime I mention that..whether I am in the Northeast or the Southwest.. I usually get a look like I am the crazy uncle at the wedding who drinks too much and wants to dirty dance with every female in the room...related or not. Here is the bottom line...if you don't think that 3400 lb car with approx 800 horsepower, going anywhere from 170-200+ mph is cool..then you need to check yourself. TV does not do justice as to how fast those cars are moving.. I can promise you that.. I have been to a race. There is the speed, there is banging and bumping at high speeds, there are wrecks, there are occasional fights between drivers. So much to like. I will stipulate that some tracks are boring as all get out...but there are an equal number of exhilirating tracks and races as well. Much more to come on this in future posts.
TIGER (aka Golf): This is simple... I find playing golf quite frustrating.. I find watching golf w/o Tiger in the field better than Ambien to help me get to sleep. However I find that watching golf with Tiger in the field can be just as exciting as any other sport listed above. He is simply the man. A human golf Terminator come to rid the world of snoozy, bland, boring golf. And this year he is on a quest to bag all four majors in one PGA Tour year. I mean thats how sick this guy is. Most other pros set goals to win one or two tourneys a year.. maybe be in contention at a major. Not Tiger.. his goal is to win every single tournament he enters. Period. Its awesome to watch. He is one of the best athletes of our time. More to come on this as The Masters approaches.. a tradition unlike any other.
So there is my not so brief summary of the major sports that I watch. I know I didn't even get to college sports but fear not we most definitely will. Especially with March Madness starting to descend on us. I want to take this opportunity to thank the creator(s) of this site for giving me this space to unload on all things sports. He is a good friend of mine that I worked with a few years back when I lived in Maine. Apparently it pays to keep in touch when you move away.. so thanks Ice. And to the rest of you..thanks for reading and keep coming back to the site to check out all the latest in the world of kicks as well as some light sports related reading. Remember any opinions or comments you may have are welcome via e-mail. I look forward to reading them. Until tomorrow y'all.....

No comments: